Pomelo is on a mission to improve the lives of immigrants and their loved ones abroad by extending the U.S. credit system internationally. We are proud to be the first fintech company to combine international money transfer and credit, making money transfers refreshingly free, fast, and secure.
As an early-stage start-up, we are building a product that rethinks what money transfer can do for people, existing at the intersection of family, personal finance, consumer credit, and global remittances.
We’re a team of ~30 and are growing our San Francisco headquarters. Our investors include Keith Rabois of Founders Fund (CEO at Opendoor, former COO of Square), Kevin Hartz (Co-founder/CEO of Xoom), The Chainsmokers, The Weeknd, and more.
Pomelo is hiring entry-level Software Engineers who have recently graduating or will be graduating in Fall/Winter 2023 to join our team full-time early 2024. We're hiring Computer Science graduate students ready to kick-off their Engineering career at a unicorn in the making and one of the highest-caliber engineering teams in software. We’re open to engineers who specialize in backend, frontend, or full-stack. Regardless of specialization, you’ll be given major problems to solve, and significant ownership in solving them.
Our tech stack today is primarily:
- Java, Postgres, and AWS on the backend
- TypeScript, React, and React Native on the frontend
We’re open to engineers who specialize in backend, frontend, or full-stack. Regardless of specialization, you’ll be given major problems to solve, and significant ownership in solving them. Examples of problems you might get to work on include:
- 📈 Growth. Deeply understand our end-to-end acquisition funnel, work with our peers in product and marketing to identify opportunities for impact, and then make them happen! Success is measured directly through conversions and retention.
↪ Recent examples here include shipping a web version of our signup flow (originally mobile-only), iterating on our credit underwriting model (to expand access to our product), and building out a significant promotional exchange rates feature (making us significantly better than the market).
- ✨ Quality and delight. Our success as a company will be determined in large part by the quality of the product we provide to our customers and how delighted we make them feel. (Word of mouth is the number one way most money transfer services spread.) What feedback are we hearing from customers and customer service? Where are we falling short, and where can we go above and beyond?
↪ Recent examples here include integrating with a courier service in the Philippines for fast and reliable card delivery overseas, and implementing an international security standard (3DSecure) for immediate “virtual card” support (our first magic moment).
- 🛠 Infra and tools. We take pride in our craft, and we value our time, so we regularly build infrastructure and tooling that makes us more effective or saves us time.
↪ Recent examples here include a whole internal admin app for customer support and operations (we use Retool for this today), analytics & experimentation infra to let us test, measure, and learn (we use Segment, Mixpanel, and LaunchDarkly today), and continuous deployment infra for our website (automatically shipping to production on every merge to main, with preview deployments on every PR).
We work in cross-functional “squads” and collaborate both within and outside of eng. We operate in sprints and try to ship and demo something
meaningful every week. And besides daily standups and weekly all-hands, we try to leave most time unscheduled, so the focus can be on the work
and the problems above.Qualifications
- Computer Science degree or equivalent at a top university, recently graduated or graduating on or before December 2023.
- Prior Software Engineering internship experience at prestigious company required.
- Technical proficiency and production experience in Java, TypeScript, React, React Native, and/or similar.
- Experience in independently building meaningful apps or services and shipping and iterating on them in production.
- Genuine interest in our mission, and genuine desire to have real-world impact. We’re too small and early today to support engineers who are only interested in deep technical problems, for example.
- Ability and readiness to work in an early-stage startup. You have experience working in ambiguous environments, defining or clarifying requirements yourself. You’ve taken initiative and ownership in solving problems, not just implementing solutions.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills. You’re able to clearly convey technical concepts and tradeoffs to non-technical audiences, and you have past experience working with others outside of engineering.
Pomelo takes a market-based approach to compensation, offering equity and a base salary as part of the compensation package. The estimated base salary range for this role is $100,000-125,000 per year. Exact compensation may differ from this range and depends on the candidate’s experience, domain expertise, and interview performance.Benefits And Perks
- ❤️ A meaningful mission and an opportunity for direct social impact. We’re putting real money back in the hands of the people who need it most and helping immigrants and their families realize the American dream.
- 👥 An amazing team and culture. You’ll have peers from both top tech companies (e.g. Google, Twitter, Microsoft) and other successful startups (e.g. Affirm, Remitly, MemSQL). We empower each other to do great work and continue growing.
- 💪 Opportunity for major impact, learning, and growth.
- 🏥 Platinum-level health insurance (medical, dental, vision) — with 100% covered by the company for you and 50% for dependents.
- 🌴 PTO: 3 weeks in your first year, 4 weeks thereafter, plus national holidays
- ✈️ $1,500 annual travel stipend
- 😌 $300 annual wellness stipend
- 🖥 $500 home office setup stipend
- 🗺 Twice-a-year company retreats. Previous trips include skiing in Park City and getting sun and surf in Cabo, Mexico.