The Automation Engineer responsibility is to design, develop, and maintain automated systems and frameworks to streamline and optimize various processes within the USG organization. This role will collaborate with cross-functional teams to help design, implement, and maintain automation solutions across cloud and on-premises platforms to meet the needs of USG business requirements.
The Automation Engineer will be responsible for developing Infrastructure as Code for OnPrem and Cloud solutions, configuration playbooks, automated tests, and monitoring solutions to create reliable and repeatable infrastructure. This role will work in step with Cloud Engineers, DevOps teams, System Administrators, and other stakeholders to drive automation and improve system reliability.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Drive automation initiatives to streamline infrastructure provisioning and configuration management
· Identify manual and repetitive tasks within business processes and develop automated solutions to increase productivity and reduce errors
· Design, develop, implement, and maintain automated tests to validate the functionality and performance of automated solutions
· Monitor the performance and reliability of automation infrastructure, frameworks, and tools
· Evaluates and analyzes data on performance/capacity and reports on key measurements
· Ensures industry standards are followed for security protocols
· Identify opportunities to drive cost of enterprise infrastructure down
· Reviews and updates department documentation and policies and procedures related to the department goals and objectives
· Consults and coordinates with various internal departments, external or business partners, providers and business entities as a representative of the areas of responsibility
· Performs product evaluation, product installation, and product upgrade efforts
· Recommends hardware and sizing and implements/installs hardware and software products, as well as new standards and procedures
· Reviews system, technical and internal customer documentation for accurate content
· Explains/trains as subject matter expert on technical concepts of product environments, operating systems, and related utilities
· Performs peer reviews for technical documentation
· Reviews current and emerging information technology and trends and provides short and long term roadmaps
· Works under minimal supervision, relying on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish assigned goals
· Performs at a level clearly above that of the related Technical Specialists by demonstrating greater productivity, proficiency, leadership and mastery of job content
· Technical Lead on small to large projects; participates as subject matter expert in projects of all sizes
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience)
· 2-5 years experience in hybrid enterprise infrastructure (OnPrem / Cloud)
· Experience in Azure Cloud and Azure DevOps a plus
· Proficiency in automation tools, CI/CD process, configuration, and scripting languages
· Familiarity with containerization technologies (Docker / Kubernetes)
· Strong collaboration, interpersonal, problem-solving skills
· Strong knowledge of IT security requirements
· Location of the position is Chicago HQ
· Microsoft Azure Administrator Associate
· Microsoft Azure DevOps Engineer
Rate of pay may be adjusted based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
USG employees enjoy a number of benefit options for themselves and their families. These include two medical insurance options, as well as vision and dental coverage. The cost of these optional programs varies based on coverage level - employees generally pay 25% of the monthly premium cost, USG pays the rest. These coverage options are offered on the first day of employment with no waiting period.
Additionally, USG employees enjoy both a 401(k) Investment Plan with company match and a pension plan. Beyond these main features, employees may also choose from a number of additional programs like life insurance, accident insurance, legal insurance, even pet insurance, just to name a few. USG also offers Quarterly (hourly) / Annual (salary) bonus potential for all employees based on performance metrics tied to safety, quality, and productivity. USG also provides employees with paid time off and paid holidays.
Since 1902, Chicago-based USG has been a leader in producing innovative, award-winning products and systems to build everything from major commercial developments and residential housing to home improvements. USG's employees are committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and quality in everything we do. Our steadfast commitment to the company's core business values – innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity, efficiency and safety – have helped us become the company we are today.
EOE including disability/veteran