Berkley Medical Management Solutions provides a unique managed-care service for the operating units of W.R. Berkley Corporation. We believe that focusing on an injured worker’s successful and speedy return to work is beneficial for both the injured worker and the Berkley operating units. Our services enable the clients of W.R. Berkley Insurance Group to better manage their worker’s compensation cases, while expediting care and returning their employees back to work faster with better outcomes.
As a Data Scientist, you will focus on leveraging the company’s substantial data assets to deliver actionable and meaningful business insights using analytics, predictive models, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. The ideal candidate will possess a strong technology background with entry-to-mid-level expertise in data analysis and building (and deploying) predictive models. We are looking for a highly motivated individual with the ability to help us deliver next-generation analytical products to our internal and external business partners.
This position requires supporting our application infrastructure, writing code, analyzing data, creating models, creating ad hoc apps/reports/dashboards, working with both internal and external customers, and participating in project management and execution.
The ideal candidate is passionate about continuous learning and turning that knowledge into cutting-edge analytical solutions. We strive to deliver innovative analytical tools that generate tangible business results.
- Support the timely execution of high-value data science projects by delivering high-quality code, data analysis, and data visualizations following team standards under guidance of senior team members
- Assist with development, testing, and deployment of analytics products and predictive models including data engineering, data analysis, and AI/ML/NLP tasks
- Monitor core analytical models and processes to ensure proper performance. Actively work to identify opportunities for improvement
- Service the analytical needs of internal and external customers by providing valuable analysis, reports, dashboards, and/or electronic files as needed
- Execute well-documented experiments to identify novel uses of internal and external data to deliver business value
- Actively assist with project management and project execution
- Execute assigned experiments, project, and tasks within agreed-to deadlines with appropriate documentation
- Actively share ideas and participate in team meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Work on cross functional teams within MEC and across the rest of the corporation
- Master core data science and business skills required to support team initiatives
- Create and deliver presentation to internal stakeholders as needed
- Requires 0 to 3 years of business experience as a data scientist or in a related field.
- Possesses an intense curiosity and determination to explore and solve complex business problems utilizing data, technology, and analytical techniques.
- Ability to multitask and manage assigned work under tight deadlines.
- Experience with a variety of statistical and machine learning algorithms.
- Understanding of data visualization best practices.
- Understanding of coding best practices.
- Can take high-level project requirements and formulate timelines, milestones, and tasks as part of project execution and provide accurate project status reports to management.
- Experience with working with large databases for analytical purposes. This would include both transactional systems and data warehouse systems.
- Beginner-to-intermediate level understanding of SQL Databases and the SQL Programming Language - SQL Server / Oracle and including programming in T-SQL, PL/SQL or the like.
- Beginner-to-intermediate level programming experience with Python and/or R
- Knowledge of information technology practices relating to data, data warehousing, ETL processes and data mining.
- Understanding of project management practices and approaches including Waterfall and Agile methodologies and experience with project management software such as Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Jira, Trello, etc.
- Experience with code management (version control) techniques utilizing tools such as Microsoft Team Foundation Server, GitHub, etc.
- Experience with UNIX and Docker a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics or other sciences (or college degree with significant technical experience in a corporate setting).
- Education should include significant work in advanced mathematics, statistics, and/or data science. Undergraduate or graduate work in computer science is a plus.