The Australian Institute of Marine Science is Australia’s tropical marine research agency.
We are a trusted advisor, a partner and employer of choice, and we value integrity, innovation, collaboration and respect. AIMS’ research of Australia’s tropical marine ecosystems guides their effective environmental management and contributes to our understanding of similar ecosystems around the world.Our research seeks to deliver practical benefit to all Australians and supports the sustainable use of our tropical marine estate. Governments, reef managers, industry and the wider community look to our high-quality, long-term research for informed decisions about our iconic Great Barrier Reef, North-West Shelf, and Arafura and Timor Seas. AIMS expert teams at our locations in Townsville, Darwin and Perth have access to world-class infrastructure, unique datasets, cutting-edge laboratories, and a fleet of modern research vessels.About These Opportunities
Joining our Data Analytics and AI group as an AI/Data Science Engineer, you will have a key role in advancing data analytics and AI applications across AIMS and enabling the delivery of insights, solutions and support to end-users and stakeholders. You will work closely with researchers from a range of disciplines across AIMS providing consultancies and implementing solutions and utilise your advance expertise in the development and deployment of AI, machine learning, and statistics to lead advancement in AIMS insights and solution to provide impact for end-users and stakeholders.
This role is expected to contribute to projects and initiatives across our Research Programs, Technology Development, and Research and Corporate Services.
Drawing on your experience, you will contribute to the development of multiple platforms and innovative products being developed at AIMS, including ReefCloud and ReefScan and lead advancements in AIMS AI and data science solutions through innovating new and adopting existing methodologies. You will prioritise the scalability and robustness of modelling techniques and ensure long-term sustainability of data science implementations and robustness of security of systems.About You
As an experienced AI/Data Science Engineer, you will bring with you a wealth of expertise in developing and deploying AI and Machine Learning (CNNs, Transformers, Reinforcement Learning) and statistical modelling (Bayesian techniques), coupled with an advanced degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field. You’ll be fluent in programming using languages such as Python, R, Java, and have a strong publication track-record.
You will be experienced leading advancements in AI and data science solutions, innovating new methodologies, and experienced establishing best practices for AI. With highly developed communication skills you will be able to support a range of stakeholders and clients, familiar partnering to drive research impact. Experience applying and developing data science/AI techniques for marine or environmental research application or products would be highly desirable, as would experience applying data science/AI operations research, robotics and autonomous systems.
Apply Now And Join a World Leading Organisation With Attractive Working Conditions Which Are Detailed In Our Enterprise Agreement. The Successful Candidate For These Exciting Opportunities Will Be Rewarded With
- AIMS AOF Level 6 salary ($130,855 to $147,453 per annum) plus 15.4% superannuation
- Full-time, Permanent opportunity
- Located in Townsville (Qld), Perth (WA) or Darwin (NT).
- 9-day fortnight
- Flexible Work Arrangements considered (including tele-working where possible)
- Generous leave provisions
- Commuter car arrangements to site (in Townsville only)
- Relocation assistance available
- Non-Australian Citizens must hold an appropriate Visa with working entitlements that allows paid employment with AIMS for the term of the appointment, depending on the relevant Department of Home Affairs current policies. AIMS may be able to consider sponsorship for international applicants for this role, however, please note that visa processing times can impact the ability for AIMS to consider sponsorship for vacancies. AIMS must meet the requirements of the Department of Home Affairs immigration policies and processes, including the necessity to test the local labour market for suitable applicants. This includes international talent pool members who are Australian visa holders who have relevant working rights.
- AIMS strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Whilst it is not currently a mandatory requirement for this role, AIMS reserves the right to review its position and policy on mandatory vaccinations. It may therefore become a mandatory requirement for this role in the future.
Further information about this exciting and challenging opportunity is outlined in the Candidate Information Pack which is available to download below. If, after reviewing the position description, which is included in the Candidate Information Pack, you believe that your qualifications, experience and professional capabilities will enable you to successfully the deliver the position responsibilities, we would be very interested in hearing from you.
Below you will also find a link to our Recruitment Application Guide which details the necessity to submit your statements addressing your suitability against the selection criteria within the scope of the position description.Submitting Your Application
Please ensure that you have your completed documents (selection criteria responses, resume and cover letter) ready to attach to your online application form via our e-recruitment system which can be accessed via the "apply now" button below.
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to complete a personal outlook analysis questionnaire using the Birkman Method.
Position enquiries can be directed to Kameron Christopher, Director Data Science and Research Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be made through our website per above.
Closing date: TUESDAY, 28 NOVEMBER 2023 (midnight, AEST).