Case45 is a stealth digital oncology business developing artificial intelligence technology for cancer biomarkers and therapies.
As a Machine Learning (ML) Engineer, you will play an exciting role in developing and testing machine learning based models and algorithms on real world data, including prospective clinical trials or retrospective cohorts. Your role will immediately power our platform to transform the biomarker world as we know it.
Working in a highly creative, fast-paced and interdisciplinary environment, you will be partnering with leading engineers and scientists to conceive, design, and develop cutting edge machine learning algorithms to unlock new modelling and predictive power which will be critical to the organisation’s success. You will draw upon your existing deep research experience whilst learning from those around you, to apply novel techniques and ideas to newly encountered computational biology and chemistry problems.
What you will do
- Design and create a world-leading AI proprietary platform by developing secure, scalable, cloud-based software and libraries.
- Develop tools to enable large-scale machine learning experiments.
- Partner with the ML Research, Drug Development (external), and Data teams to design, develop, train, and evaluate a variety of cutting edge ML models.
- Maximise model performance, scalability, and robustness for production use within our computational platform.
- Collaborate with the MLOps team to support model operation in production.
- Create novel cancer biomarker and drug development tools in partnership with domain experts, taking end-to-end ownership from rapid prototyping to production-quality code.
- Iterate collaboratively with scientists and domain experts to gather feature requirements and user feedback.
Skills and qualifications
- Experience using ML frameworks such as JAX, PyTorch, or TensorFlow, and scientific software such as NumPy, SciPy, or Pandas — proven experience in developing artificial neural networks.
- Strong foundations in software engineering with previous experience operating as a senior individual contributor with software architecture skills.
- Experience building secure/scalable platforms/products on cloud, including expertise with modern cloud architectures and frameworks.
- Expertise with full SDLC and agile product development.
- Proven track record leading teams who deliver production ready code for real world applications.
- Experience working with and leading cross functional teams.
- A passion for applying ML research to real world problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field.
Nice to have
- PhD in machine learning or computer science.
- Exposure to modern DevOps/SRE best practices.
- Pharma and/or biotech industry experience, ideally with a focus on drug or biomarker development.
Behaviours and attributes
- Grounded and original thinker: you combine the best from industry with new ideas and creative approaches, taking well-informed risks to advance progress.
- Motivated by purpose and impact: Self-directed, chooses the most effective path to maximise impact in pursuit of higher-level purpose, operates at pace with a clear bias for action.
- Experimental: Comfortable with ambiguity, embraces new ideas, responds quickly, and adapts to maximise opportunities.
- Collaborative and inclusive: you are willing to go the extra mile and work beyond role remit, building strong partnerships with a variety of collaborators.
- Curious mindset: Strong interest in self-development, learns from setbacks as well as successes.
- First call: the agenda is to take you through the story, explain the background science & tech; most importantly explain the vision — basically just a chat.
- Technical Interview: we will share a brief form for you to fill and arrange a Technical Interview with the CEO — you will have instructions well ahead.
- A wider call with other team members and progress to offer stage.
We encourage candidates to ask questions and get familiar with Case45’s background during this process.
Case45 welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.