Data Scientist, Boulder, CO
Your Impact at Ascend Analytics
This position will be a key member supporting Ascend Analytics' Market Intelligence team, which supports all long-term valuation activities at Ascend, working in project finance, utility planning, project development, and market strategy. You will be part of a collaborative team advancing software solutions and analytics to support the clean-tech power revolution. Your strong software engineering skills will support mission critical decision analytics for renewable and battery storage power providers around the globe.
Ascend Analytics is an innovative "climate tech" software and consulting company focused on energy analytics that are transforming the electric grid. Ascend's solutions provide the analytics to support critical power supply decisions from operating strategies, for short and long-term investment and resource planning decisions. For more information, visit www.ascendanalytics.com.
- Build analytical and automation tools using Python to assist in energy market forecasting and analytical activities
- Design and write clean, scalable, production code in Python
- Refactor code for improved performance, stability, and scalability
- Develop automatic tests (such as unit and integration tests) and deployment scripts
- Implement systems for collecting, storing, and working with data at scale
- Work with our team of analysts to integrate, automate, and generalize prototype mathematical and data science models within production software
- Communicate clearly and effectively (orally and in writing) with both technical and nontechnical stakeholders
- Perform peer code reviews and assessments
- Mentor and guide junior engineers (senior candidates)
- Contribute to scoping and design discussions (senior candidates)
- This position involves working collaboratively both within your software team and outside with the analysts and technical sales team. The software development team follows an agile scrum process, and all team members are expected to contribute to technical design reviews, implementation strategies, operational system support, and sprint planning.
- 2+ Years experience in a highly related role
- BS or MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Data/Information Science, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics, Economics, or Power Systems (or related fields)
- Demonstrated academic or professional software coding experience in Python, including object-oriented design
- Familiarity with data processing in Python (including Pandas, Numpy, Sympy, Scikit-Learn)
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork skills, and work ethic
- Demonstrated interest in the energy sector (e.g. coursework, professional development activities, podcasts, independent reading, etc.)
- Familiarity or exposure to cloud computing platforms and ecosystems, e.g., Azure, AWS, and containerization, e.g., Docker
- Referential databases, such as SQL Server, Oracle, or PostgreSQL
- Experience performing independent research
- Ability to communicate with impact and confidence, both orally and in writing
- Understanding of basic microeconomic principles
- Knowledge of wholesale electricity markets
Compensation: $80,000-$120,000 (junior); $110,000-140,000 (experienced)
Negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Ascend highly values our employees and often pays above industry average.
We offer flexible work hours in a relaxed environment with opportunities for advancement and excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, parental leave, dependent care spending account, and a 401k plan.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Ascend Analytics is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Ascend Analytics is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com