Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. We empower people around the globe to reach services they love and need simply, speedily and safely – whether they’re renting a car or opening a bank account or completing a high-value transaction where identity is key. We built a full-service suite of AI-powered identity verification solutions with fairness and inclusiveness at their core, and were awarded ‘Outstanding Leader in Accessibility’ and ‘Best Innovation in Algorithmic Bias Mitigation’ awards at CogX.
Onfido is an established pre-IPO technology company with a prominent position in the global marketplace that has been repeatedly recognized for excellence in performance and innovation. In 2021 we were awarded ‘Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Hot Company’ by CyberDefense Global Infosec Awards, ‘Fraud Prevention Innovation of the Year’ at the CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards, and named to the CB Insights Fintech 250 for the fourth year running. We've received over $200 million in funding from investors including TPG Growth, Microsoft, and Salesforce to achieve our vision. We partner with thousands of businesses to help millions access services every week – from billion dollar institutions to hypergrowth unicorns. We support identities from 195 countries, and 2,500+ document types. Our recent growth is fuelled by continued increasing demand in the United States – where we’ve grown in year-over-year sales by 264% – as more enterprise organisations accelerate their digital transformation plans with Onfido.
Our goal is to work together to promote and celebrate an inclusive and diverse community. Collectively, all Onfidoers are committed to creating an environment where everyone can be themselves, and where differences are celebrated. We encourage people from all backgrounds and cultures to come together to solve some of the world's most interesting problems.
Backend Engineers at Onfido help our R&D organisation build and operate resilient, scalable and healthy systems.
As a Backend Engineer, you'd be joining a talented and friendly team which loves to delight its customers with quality and robust code. We care about user and developer experience and we work in an agile way to regularly ship code to production.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including product designers, product managers, and engineers, to create seamless user experiences. This involves tasks like refining the public API used by customers, enhancing image quality, and extracting data from various document formats. The work encompasses a range of interesting challenges.
- Iterate on solutions through prototyping to deliver impactful and polished results. Keep an eye on scalability, reliability, and performance considerations.
- Uphold privacy and security principles in our products, aligning with our commitment to maintaining high privacy standards for customers.
- Work on projects from conception to execution, collaborating with various teams within Onfido. Contribute to system design and ensure successful project completion.
- Enhance the reliability and security of our continuous delivery system by participating in the development of test automation and CI/CD pipelines.
- Play a role in nurturing a team culture that emphasizes psychological safety, inclusivity, collaboration, and continuous improvement. Participate in retrospectives and contribute feedback to foster this environment within the team.
We deeply value trust, ownership and rapid iteration. Our engineers, product managers and designers work together closely to solve a challenging problem - identity in an online world - and build products that are polished and impactful.
- Proficient in software engineering principles and practices, regardless of the programming language. Adept at designing, developing, and maintaining applications with a strong emphasis on clean and maintainable code.
- Great problem-solving skills, by breaking down large tasks into smaller manageable components and demonstrate critical thinking skills to address technical obstacles
- Can take responsibility on delivering complex projects, from design to deployment to operation
- Uphold and promote best practices in design, code quality and security
- Can think through product requirements and come up with high-impact ways to quickly solve those problems
- Are constantly curious about new technology and new approaches
We are technology agnostic at Onfido. We are not looking for you to have experience in all these technologies. As long as you're open to learning, please apply.
- Backend: mostly Python and Ruby at Onfido
- Frontend: React and Typescript
- ML: Tensorflow, Jupyter, Dask
- Kubernetes and Docker for deployment
- AWS for underlying infrastructure (Aurora, Redis, Dynamo, S3, SNS, SQS, CloudFront, API Gateway, etc.)
- Gitlab for software lifecycle management.
For the Airside team at Onfido, we are using Java-based application development.
- Spring Framework, JPA, Spring Security
- Postgresql, DynamoDB
- REST best practices
Airside is a recent acquisition and an Onfido company. Joining this team gives you a chance to work on leading innovation in the world of digital identity, allowing people to build and control their digital identity from their own devices. Airside’s Digital ID solutions create convenience while allowing our members to maintain full control of their data. Airside is best recognised for the Mobile Passport, a top-40 travel app.
The platform and patented technology make it simple for people to prove who they are to anyone at any time. We allow users to build the strongest verified digital identity possible, store their credentials on their own device and decide what to share, with whom, for how long, and for what purpose — to open any door they choose while staying in control of their personal data. They can see who they’ve shared it with and revoke access with one click. We put the users back in control of their privacy and security, protecting both them and businesses from fraudsters, compliance headaches, and data breaches. It’s the easiest and most secure way to access digital and physical services.
The Airside team's vision is Privacy for everyone, everywhere, in an information-sharing world. The mission is to combine smart process design with leading-edge technology to create mobile solutions that fit all areas of your life.
Please see more information about Airside, an Onfido Company, below
Who you are:
We encourage people from all backgrounds, cultures and skill levels to apply. It is okay to not meet all requirements listed as we are looking for individuals who are passionate, eager to learn.
Where you will be:
At Onfido, we have a distributed workforce. This role will be based as advertised on the job description. We have a hybrid model, and you can choose to work fully remote, or come to our offices! We let all of our employees choose what’s best for them.
Onfidoers share a set of core values and want to hear from you if you believe in:
> Succeeding together; you work collaboratively and put the team first
> Taking pride; you care about quality, producing great work and customer / user outcomes
> Creating customer buzz; you demonstrate a strong user / customer focus
> Learning things & sharing them; you have a natural curiosity and default to sharing knowledge with others
> Finding a better way; you’re adept at finding solutions, experimentation and innovating to make things better
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
> 25 days annual leave plus a day off for your Birthday.
> Two paid volunteering days per year.*
> Bupa Private Medical and Dental Insurance*
> Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
> Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)*
> Generous paid parental leaveFree mental health coaching provided online
> Life enrichment allowance of up to £80 per month to use for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare, and therapy
> Dedicated learning opportunities including using tools like Learnably with availability to use for learning resources such as books, coaches, conferences, courses, podcasts, and more
> Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnThursday); holding quarterly team socials, and other company-wide social events
> Expense up to £300 (or local equivalent) to purchase workstation setup equipment
> The opportunity to become a member of Onfido’s resource groups in order to learn different skills in our belonging groups
Check out Life at Onfido via our
LinkedIn Careers Page
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.