Seattle Sixth Ave, Cambridge 300 Technology Square, London The Stanley Building, San Francisco
Sep 25 2023
This role can be office based within the greater Seattle, WA location. The specific location of the Seattle office will be determined in the near future.
At GSK, we want to supercharge our data capability to better understand our patients and accelerate our ability to discover vaccines and medicines. The Onyx Research Data Platform organization represents a major investment by GSK R&D and Digital & Tech, designed to deliver a step-change in our ability to leverage data, knowledge, and prediction to find new medicines.
We are a full-stack shop consisting of product and portfolio leadership, data engineering, infrastructure and DevOps, data / metadata / knowledge platforms, and AI/ML and analysis platforms, all geared toward:
- Building a next-generation, metadata- and automation-driven data experience for GSK’s scientists, engineers, and decision-makers, increasing productivity and reducing time spent on “data mechanics”
- Providing best-in-class AI/ML and data analysis environments to accelerate our predictive capabilities and attract top-tier talent
- Aggressively engineering our data at scale, as one unified asset, to unlock the value of our unique collection of data and predictions in real-time
Our Compute Platform Engineering team is building a first-in-class platform of toolchains and workflows that accelerate application development, scale up computational experiments, and integrate all computation with project metadata, logs, experiment configuration and performance tracking over abstractions that encompass Cloud and High-Performance Computing. This metadata-forward, CI/CD-driven platform represents and enables the entire application and analysis lifecycle including interactive development and explorations (notebooks), large-scale batch processing, observability and production application deployments.
A Sr. Compute Platform Engineer is a leading technical contributor who can consistently take a poorly defined business or technical problem, work it to a well-defined problem / specification, and execute on it at a high level. They have a strong focus on metrics, both for the impact of their work and for its inner workings / operations. They are a model for the team on best practice for software development in general (and their specialization in particular), including code quality, documentation, DevOps practices, and testing, and consistently mentor junior members of the team. They ensure robustness of our services and serve as an escalation point in the operation of existing services, pipelines, and workflows.
A Sr. Compute Platform Engineer should be deeply familiar with the tools of their specialization and of their customers and engaged with the open-source community surrounding them – potentially, even to the level of contributing pull requests.
- Designs, builds, and operates tools, services, workflows, etc that deliver high value through the solution to key business problems,
- Responsible for development of key components of a hybrid on-prem/cloud compute platform for both interactive and scalable batch computing and establishing of processes and workflows to transition existing HPC users and teams to this platform
- Responsible for code-driven environment, applications, and container/image builds as well as CI/CD driven application deployments.
- Consult science users on application scalability to PBs of data by having a deep understanding of software engineering, algorithms, and underlying hardware infrastructure and their impact on performance.
- Confidently optimizes design and execution of complex solutions within large-scale distributed computing environments
- Produces well-engineered software, including appropriate automated test suites, technical documentation, and operational strategy
- Ensure consistent application of platform abstractions to ensure quality and consistency with respect to logging and lineage
- Fully versed in coding best practices and ways of working, and participates in code reviews and partnering to improve the team’s standards
- Adhere to QMS framework and CI/CD best practices and helps to guide improvements to them that improve ways of working
- Provide leadership to team members to help others get the job done right
- Bachelors degree in Data Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering
- 6+ years of professional experience
- Experience with Python
- Experience with Cloud
- Experience with High Performance Compute (HPC)
- Masters or PhD
- Deep knowledge and use of at least one common programming language: e.g., Python, C++, Scala, Java, including toolchains for documentation, testing, and operations / observability
- Deep expertise in modern software development tools / ways of working (e.g. git/GitHub, devops tools, metrics / monitoring, …)
- Deep cloud expertise (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud, Azure), including infrastructure-as-code tools and scalable compute technologies, such as Google Batch and Vertex
- Experience with CI/CD implementations using git and a common CI/CD stack (e.g., Azure DevOps, CloudBuild, Jenkins, CircleCI, GitLab)
- Deep expertise with Docker, Kubernetes, and the larger CNCF ecosystem including experience with application deployment tools such as Helm
- Experience with low level application builds tools (make, CMake) as well as automated build systems such as spack or easybuild
- Application experience of CI/CD implementations using git and a common CI/CD stack (e.g., Jenkins, CircleCI, GitLab, Azure DevOps)
- Experience in workflow orchestration with tools such as Argo Workflow, Airflow, and scientific workflow tools such as Nextflow, Snakemake, VisTrails, or Cromwell
- Experience with application performance tuning and optimization, including in parallel and distributed computing paradigms and communication libraries such as MPI, OpenMP, Gloo, including deep understanding of the underlying systems (hardware, networks, storage) and their impact on application performance.
- Demonstrated excellence with agile software development environments using tools like Jira and Confluence
- Deep familiarity with the tools, techniques, optimizations in high-performance applications space, including engagement with the opensource community (and potentially making contributions to such tools)
GSK offers a competitive compensation package inclusive of the following: Competitive base salary, annual bonus based on company performance, access to healthcare and wellbeing programs, retirement savings program, paid time off, and employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements. The salary range for this role is: $145,877 to $197,363GSK offers a competitive compensation package inclusive of the following: Competitive base salary, annual bonus based on company performance, access to healthcare and wellbeing programs, retirement savings program, paid time off, and employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements. The salary range for this role is: $145,877 to $197,363
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.