Nillion is a web3 infrastructure project based on a novel cryptographic innovation called Nil Message Compute (see presentation at Cambridge University). The new technology enables Information-Theoretic Secure decentralized data storage and computation.
As reported by TechCrunch, Nillion raised $25 million at a $180 million valuation in the midst of the bear market of 2022 - the highest valuation for a Seed Round reported in Q4-2022. The project has attracted some of the top talent in tech, including the Founding Engineer of Uber (Conrad Whelan), Founder of Indiegogo (Slava Rubin), Associate General Counsel of Coinbase (Lindsay Danas Cohen), Co-Founder of Hedera Hashgraph (Andrew Masanto) and several other high profile team members. The project has also won several industry awards, including the CoinList Seed Program (see CoinList Tweet here) and Polygon Co-Founder’s Web3 Accelerator Program, Beacon.
Nillion is bringing to life fast, permissionless, decentralized secure storage and private computation that fundamentally improves the way that data is processed, analyzed and shared. The protocol is looking for talented engineers to join its team in building that vision.
As a Software Engineer at Nillion you will play a key role in the design, architecture, development, configuration, testing, deployment, and ongoing maintenance of the Nillion NMC Network and Protocol. This includes working on our:
- NMC Network Layer & Storage Layer
- Node API
- NMC SDK
- NMC Runtime VM
- Testnet & Local Testing Module
You will be responsible for leading key initiatives and projects while also supporting other members of the team across all areas of the platform development.
We are a remote-first organization looking to build an engineering team primarily focused on European and US East Coast time zones. Some travel may be required.Requirements
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 4+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, C#, Go or Rust
- 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Extensive experience working with internal and external stakeholders
- Have highly effective communication, interpersonal and critical thinking skills
- Strong grasp of large-scale technology architectures and data flows
Nice to Have
- Experience working in an agile software development organization
- Strong platform or customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive
- Experience building and operating online services and fault-tolerant distributed systems at scale
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) a plus but not required
- Experience working with distributed cryptographic systems including but not limited to blockchain architectures
- 8+ years of relevant job experience
- Knowledge and experience in the design and development of domain-specific languages and compilers
- Knowledge and experience in the design and development of distributed cryptographic principles and protocols (e.g. ZKP or SMPC)
- Qualified to at least an MSc degree in mathematics, computer science, cyber security, cryptography or a related field. A PhD or Postdoc in any of the related fields is a bonus
- Experience designing and developing projects in one or more of the existing Blockchain Technologies – Hyperledger Fabric, Solana, PolkaDot or Ethereum
- Experience in the financial markets/software
- Knowledge and understanding of cryptocurrency markets, ecosystem and ethos
We offer the following perks as part of employment with Nillion:
- Flexible working hours to accommodate lifestyles and a globally distributed team
- Competitive Salary
- Make a big impact as a early contributor to an incredible founding team
- Work on new problems in an incredible emerging and dynamic field
- Learn from systems engineering, cryptography, and finance domain experts in a mentorship-oriented work culture
- You don’t need to be in an office or at a desk to have an impact anymore! We are fully remote, but value regular meet-ups
In summary, if you are interested in web3 infrastructure, innovation, new technology, and are interested in working with a high-caliber team, please apply. Nillion is committed to shaping a better world in all that they do. Their global team is built based on respect, inclusivity, diversity and excellence.
For more information on either the technology or company, there are several lectures at leading universities about the project such as Oxford University, Cambridge University, New York University, Columbia, and MIT. You can also visit Nillion’s early website at www.nillion.com.