Full Time– 40 hours per week basis, salary with benefits.
This position is for an instrumentation and controls (I&C) engineer that will integrate components, instrumentation, and controls for ground support equipment for fueling aircraft and microgrid systems that will include energy generation with photovoltaic cells, energy storage using battery energy storage systems, and the controls to manage power conversion and distribution. In addition, the I&C engineer will support the development of electric flight vehicles and related ground support equipment through the use of design, analytical, data acquisition, and experimental skills to support company research and product development activities.
- Collaborate with internal design, engineering, and manufacturing teams and external vendors and partners in developing, implementing, and operating control systems
- Specify precise new instrumentation and controls product functional requirements: design, analyze, test, and integrate a variety of moderately complex components to produce final designs; evaluate the design’s overall effectiveness, cost (including cost/benefit analysis), reliability (risk analysis), and safety
- Conduct automation controls systems design, PLC/SCADA programming, simulation and testing, and start up commissioning.
- Define and implement programmable logic controller (PLC)/Ladder design, distributed control system (DCS) configuration
- Develop specifications and select instrumentation and associated power supplies for measuring a range of temperatures, pressures, gas flow rates, voltage, current, power, displacement, proximity, and force
- Develop designs for control panels and wiring drawings
- Apply power and control integration knowledge to create controlled design documentation including but not limited to Design Requirements (functional and interface requirements), Design Documentation, P&IDs, Test Requirements Documents, Component Test Plans, Design Review Packages, Hazards Analyses, and Operational Check Sheets
- Create and review material part specifications and bills of materials for purchasing
- Participate in design reviews
- Assist as necessary in the fabrication, assembly, and integration of control systems
- Assist in the conducting of component, subsystem, and system test experiments and document results
- Test and conduct on-site commission of control systems
- Prepare project deliverables including written statements of work, technical reports, status reports and budgets.
- Present oral technical presentations
- Support new product development plans (schedule, product cost, meeting design inputs)
- Travel to other NEOEx facilities as necessary
- Conduct other duties as assigned
- Must be self-motivated and possess strong organizational skills
- Must be able to use good judgement and common sense to make numerous daily decisions
- Must be able to reorder priorities in accordance with changing work conditions and customer
- Must be able to speak and write proficiently in the English language
- Must be able to use basic hand tools
- Must be able to use a multi-meter
- Must be able to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Edge (or equivalent web browser)
- Must be able to conduct programming
- Must be able to use a computer
- Must be able to use a remote video teleconferencing application (i.e. Zoom)
- Must be able to hear audible alarms
- Must be able to work with others in a team environment
- Must understand the importance of safety procedures and follow safety practices
- Must be able to work independently
Basic Technical Skills Desired:
- Background with energy storage systems, microgrids, or electric vehicles
- Experience in one or more of the following Energy Storage System technologies such as AC or DC coupled systems, batteries, inverters, converters, charging systems, solar, software, firmware, or controls
- Knowledge of Li-ion and lead-acid battery chemistries and battery management systems
- Ability to integrate system controls using Modbus, CAN bus, RS485, Ethernet, or varied PLC platforms
- Experience with multi-degree-of-freedom robot arm control
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance such as: UL 1741, UL 9540 -A, NFPA 70, and generally with UL, NFPA, CSA, CE, FCC, and IEC standards governing energy storage systems.
- Familiarity with LabView or similar data acquisition systems
- Electrical design and process control fundamentals
- Familiarity with controllers, such as single loop control, PLC, DCS, DDC or PC based control
- Platform knowledge in Rockwell Automation, Siemens, Emerson DeltaV, etc.
- Knowledge in programming language such as but not limited to C++, C#, or Python
- Awareness of process safety, validation, and good documentation practices
- Programming languages: PLC ladder Logic, Function Block, SFC VB
- Experience with HMI/SCADA Software, i.e. Intellution, WonderWare, OSIsoft, etc.
- Network design or administration
- B.S. or M.S. degree in the field of Instrumentation and Controls, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline
- 0 to 5 years of relevant work experience with programming industrial controls, PLC’s, HMI’s and industrial communication protocols
EEOC compliant employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Work Location: In person